Wednesday, April 20, 2011

2 Week Notice

Hiii everyone!

Betcha thought I had given up on blogging again, huh?

Not so!

I have had a crazy couple of weeks which left me with limited blogging time.

Forgive me?

"I'm sorrry!"

Thanks, I knew you would. :)

So, what has been going on the past couple of weeks?

I'm so glad you asked!

Besides having the past few weekends full of fundraisers and other youth related activities, a couple of big changes have been in the works.

Time for Change

For the past year and a half I have been working for a local insurance company as a Customer Service Representative. While I enjoy my job, it's flexibility and the fact that it is only 2 minutes away from where I live, it was never something I planned to make a career out of.

A couple of weeks ago I took on a second job helping my sister as a nanny to four adorable children. She started the job a little over two years ago when there were only two of them (girl cousins), and last year both girls became BIG sisters! While the new babies were still infants they naturally spent most of the time with their mom's, but since both babies recently celebrated their first birthdays and are walking, things can get a bit crazy.

"Why is this happening?!"
I really enjoy hanging out with the kiddos, and there is never a dull moment!

As if starting a new part-time job (on top of working my current job, going to school, and fulfilling church related duties) isn't enough craziness, there's more. Remember when I said that insurance is not really my lifetime career goal? Well, teaching is. One of the reasons I was so thrilled to begin working with my sister was because I would be able to get back to doing something I absolutely LOVE: working with kids.

A couple of months ago I was chatting with a close friend, who is a teacher, and she suggested that I start applying for Aide positions within our local school districts to "get my foot in the door". I took this advice to heart and began applying for various positions whenever one would come up. I wasn't actively searching for a new job, but figured when the time was right, it would just happen.

Well, it happened.

Last Thursday I interviewed for a part time Special Education Teacher's Aide position, and was offered the job the very next day. I was ecstatic to say the least!  

I will begin working the first week of May since school is out for Spring Break right now, then will be off work through the summer, starting back in the Fall when the new school year begins. A few weeks ago this would have stressed me to the max because I obviously have to quit my current job at the insurance company, leaving me with no job at all through the summer. But since I started working with my sister, I will continue as a part time nanny through the summer, so I will not be unemployed!

The timing of it all has been seriously, impeccable. God. never. fails.

 I feel like I am finally on the way to my long term career goal of teaching, and I am thrilled!

Since I will be in a transition phase over the next few weeks, please bare with me! I will continue blogging, but I'm not sure what my schedule will be. I'll definitely be keeping you posted on how things are going with the new job! :-)

xoxo

Discuss

-Any tips for someone starting a new job?
















No comments: