Monday, January 19, 2009

True Love<3

True love isn't just expressed in passionately whispered words or an intimate kiss or an embrace; before two people are married, love is expressed in self-control, patience, even words left unsaid.
-Joshua Harris



Tonight we started reading I Kissed Dating Goodbye.. We began reading out of curiousity more than anything else, but just reading the first two chapters has opened our eyes to a whole new approach to dating (or NOT dating)! The book talks about how the main problem with the dating scene today is that we've disconnected romance and commitment. Our selfish desires get in the way of God's perfect plan for our lives. We are so thankful that God is merciful and chooses to rescue and forgive us in spite of our self-centeredness!! As Joshua Harris says so perfectly, "In light of the love He's given us, let's make purity and blamelessness our priority"!

We will keep you updated as we continue to read!!!


6 comments:

Steve said...

You might find my blog where I critique Harris's book of interest.

www.ikdg.wordpress.com
"I Kissed Dating Goodbye: Wisdom or Foolishness?

Unfortunately Harris doesn't share the problems his approach has caused. I would also say his approach is most appropriate for teenagers vs. older singles.

Nann said...

Thanks for the comment! We will check out your blog. I have heard many different things about the book...which is why we decided to read it for ourselves. The thing that we really like(so far) is the idea of loving others as Christ loves us and reconnecting Romance and Commitment. It's so true that the two have been seperated from each other and it has left many people hurt and confused...ultimately putting "relationships" at the stauts they are today.

Anyway, thanks for your input! We are definately open to other opinions! ;o)

Steve said...

I am glad you are reading the book for yourself. I am sure it could be read and implemented in a non legalistic manner. Unfortunately, it seems that most groups that I have seen it gravitates towards legalism.

As my title asks, there can be both wisdom and foolishness in the book and its application.

Misti Wiley said...

Hey girls,
Hope you guys find wisdom in this book. I have heard many good things about it. Keep us updated.

Misti

Susan Hill said...

Most people don't think out relationships until it is too late and then they find themselves trying to find a way out! I believe that you girls are going about this right! Search out YOUR perfect way! Find out what God has to say, look inside yourself, recognize your own strengths and weaknesses! Capitalize on those! Others thinkings and teachings may not be perfect for you! I'm thrilled that you are reading this book! It is part of the approach that we led Misti in while she was dating/courting her now husband! Safe boundaries have never hurt anyone! But footloose and headlong into relationships have certainly left scars and lifelong hurts! I'm proud of you for your interest in making your life pleasing before God! You are showing signs of maturity!!!

April Renee said...

Hey girls,
Most of our conversations on this subject are at home as they should be. So I will just say this; I am so glad you are not caught up in the worry of being in a hurry. You have seen what that has done to many a family memeber and the long lasting consequences that have been endured. I am also proud that you have personal goals you wish to attain for yourselves, both spritually and in your careers.
I couldn't ask for smarter, wiser and more beautiful young ladies who love God as you two. Dad and I are very proud of you! And....We love you more that you'll ever know!
Mom